Official Course Start Date: May 30th (2023)
Week 1-6 readings and learning modules available immediately on registration (Interactive elements start for this course on May 30th, 2023). A PDF certificate will be provided on completion (can be done and completed earlier or at your own pace as needed).
This 6-week/module interactive online course introduces therapists to the Schema Mode Model, and 'Mode' interventions (the model typically used for complex presentations). The training is skills-based, with multiple opportunities to learn techniques for working with difficult-to-treat clinical presentations (particularity Borderline Personality Disorder, Cluster-C Personality Disorders, Complex Trauma, & Chronic Depression).
Chris & Rob make use of a mix of professionally recorded webinar-style presentations, skills demonstrations, and thought-provoking reflection tasks designed to increase your knowledge and application of the schema mode model to complex cases. You will get the chance to further your schema therapy practice; learning how to work 'experientially' (e.g. using chair dialogues and Imagery Rescripting) with challenging/ treatment resistant 'parts' or 'modes'.
Interaction: There are also x 1 live Zoom Q&A Café consultation meeting scheduled during the 6-week program (Taped and streamed later for those that can't make it live). See below Course Curriculum for dates of these Live Café Q&As
Access to discussion forums (and dedicated closed Facebook group) are included to help support your learning and to connect you to our online learning community.
The training constitutes 18-hours of active professional development, and you will be provided a certificate on completion.
This Course officially starts May 30th (2023) and is designed around 6 'weekly' modules. However, the course is completely self-paced. Access to the course (and downloadable materials/scripts) is given for either 16-weeks (Standard Registration = 289AUD) or 12-months (Extended Registration = 325AUD). Note: all course materials are available immediately on purchase giving you additional time with the course resources! All interactive elements of the course starting May 30th (2023).
If you are curious about the course content, you can check it out below!
Please Note: For those US-based therapists that wish to get continuing education credits (CE) for completing this training, please visit CEUnits.com after completion of the course. Details at: https://www.ceunits.com/mft-lcsw/235/Schema-Therapy-Online-Course-2-The-Schema-ModernModel-and-Mode-Interventions-for-Complex-Cases/
- Welcome to Week 1 (5:04)
- Week 1 Webinar Video (Part 1): Conceptual Background to the 'Mode' Concept and Mode Model (27:05)
- Week 1 Webinar Video (Part 2): Getting to Know the Modes (34:36)
- Week 1 Webinar Video (Part 3) Getting to Know the Modes Role Play with Chris and Rob (21:57)
- Building your Mode Fluency with Movie Clips (Scroll Down for Instructions) (9:36)
- Week 1 Reflection Exercise: Building Your Mode Fluency with Exemplars
- Week 1 Homework for Next Week: Give one Patient the Schema Mode Inventory (Due Week 2)
- Additional/Optional (Geek Out Reading) Beyond Belief (Beck, 1996)
- Week 2 Welcome and Overview with Rob (4 Mins) (2:05)
- Scoring and Interpreting the Schema Mode Inventory (13:18)
- Week 2 Webinar Video (Part 1): Mode Assessment and Formulation (30 Minutes) (30:01)
- Mode Assessment Hack > Using your Key Problem Areas
- Week 2 Reflection Task: Mode Mapping a Client
- Week 2 Webinar Video (Part 2): Imagining the Road Ahead - Structuring Treatment in Schema Therapy (20 Min) (19:26)
- Reading Material: Case Conceptualisation in Schema Therapy - Fassbender et al (2019)
- Intro to Week 3 - Core Change Approaches in Schema Mode Work (16:08)
- Week 3 Podcast Audio: Limited Reparenting, Empathic Confrontation and Attunement
- Skills Videos: Use of Empathic Confrontation and Care with the Aggrandiser (24:31)
- Skills Video: Limit Setting and Empathic Confrontation (8:02)
- Week 3 Skills Video: A 5-Step Process Model of Attunement (21:28)
- Week 3 Skills Video: Application of 5-Step Process Approach to Attunement with an Overcontroller Mode Active (13:06)
- Week 3 Reflection Exercise: Practice Attunement with a Client (or colleague)
- Week 4 Webinar: Mode Work in Schema Therapy (23:53)
- Week 4 Skills Video: Using Chair Work to Bypass Detached Protector Mode (7:55)
- Week 4: Skills Video - Interviewing the Detached Protector Mode (10:56)
- Skills Video: Moding out a Trigger (10 Mins) (9:21)
- Week 4 Reflection Task: "Moding" Out A Problem
- Bonus Video Podcast: "What's the Schema" Interview with Wendy Behary on Narcissism and Empathic Confrontation (49:57)
- Save the Date!!! Tuesday 11th July (2023) at 4-5pm AEST (Melbourne/ Sydney) with Chris
- Reading: Imagery Rescrtipting for Childhood Memories (Hayes & Wijngaart 2020)
- Week 5 Video Presentation: Critic Modes Defined (18 minutes) (17:28)
- Webinar: Experiential Methods in Working With Critic Modes - Chair Work (13:32)
- Week 5: Skills Video: Chair Work with Punitive Critic Mode (8:25)
- New Lecture: Webinar: Experiential Methods - Imagery (16:15)
- Week 5 Skills Presentation: Using Imagery Rescripting (13:28)
- Skills Video- Chair Work - With the Vulnerable Child Mode (3:42)
- Week 5 Reflection Exercise 1: 5-Key Take-aways from this week
- Week 5 Reflection and Skills Exercise: Using chair work in your practice
- Video Presentation, Are you getting in your own way? (15:34)
- Self-Reflection Task: Mode-Flash Card
- Skills Demonstration: Imagery Rescripting of Therapist Unrelenting Standards/Failure Schema (20:03)
- Role Play Task (Optional): Imagery Rescripting of Therapist Schemas
- Video: Evidence-Base for Schema Therapy (11:34)
- Downloading your Certificate and Keeping and ''Active'' PD Record/ Course End Date
- Video- Resources/ Texts & What Next... (4:04)
- Bonus Teaser from "Tough Cases" Course (28:04)
- Bonus Refresher 1: Behavioural Pattern Breaking in Schema Therapy (12:52)
- Bonus Refresher 2: Homework Tasks in Schema Therapy (3:41)
- Bonus Content: Schema Therapy Cafe July 2020 (127:30)
- Bonus: Video Presentation - Take Home Messages, Summary, and Road Ahead From Zoom Cafe' (Uploaded 9th July) (64:32)
Chris Hayes (Clinical Psychologist) ISST Accredited Supervisor & Trainer
International Society of Schema Therapy Board Secretary 2014-2018
Chris is based in Perth, Western Australia. Since 2005, he has been practicing as an advanced Schema Therapist, supervisor and trainer having completed certification in Schema Therapy at the Schema Therapy Institute in New York City (USA) with Dr Jeffery Young. He has presented workshops throughout Europe, Asia and Australasia. He is the Director of Schema Therapy Training Australia.
Rob Brockman, PhD (Clinical Psychologist) ISST Accredited Supervisor and Trainer
Co-Director of Schema Therapy Training Online; co-author of "Contextual Schema Therapy" (Roediger, Stevens, & Brockman 2020)
I am an active researcher and clinician. Since 2014, I have had the pleasure of sharing this model with my colleagues through face-to-face workshops and supervision. However, I understand that attending a live workshop may not always be practical or accessible so I have teamed up with Chris Hayes to design a comprehensive online schema therapy course.