Official Course Start Date:
Tuesday, March 28th (2023)
Week 1-6 readings and learning modules are available immediately upon registration (Interactive elements start for this course on March 28th, 2023). A PDF certificate will be issued on completion for 18-Hours of CPD/ credit.
Course Overview: This course, designed and instructed by International Society of Schema Therapy (ISST) Accredited supervisor/trainers Chris Hayes and Rob Brockman, covers the basics of schema therapy practice. This course is designed as foundational-level schema therapy training, to be completed over 6-weeks. Teaching makes use of a mix of didactic teaching, skills-based demonstrations (e.g. Chairwork & Imagery Rescripting), and thoughtful reflection and (self)reflection activities. The course includes access to downloadable materials including schema monitoring and formulation templates, practice scripts, and lecture handouts.
Interaction: There will also be x 1 live Zoom Q&A session scheduled during the program (conveniently recorded for those who can't attend live). See week 3 in below Course Outline for the first Q&A Cafe' date. Further opportunities to ask questions and interact are also available via our dedicated discussion forums and (Closed) Facebook Group for those that are interested.
Participants can also pace the learning according to their own needs. While the course is designed to be completed over 6-weeks, course access is given for either 16-weeks (Standard Registration = $289AUD) or 12-months (Extended Access Registration = $325AUD) total from the official course start date to give you plenty of time to complete the course 'at your own pace'.
This course constitutes 18-hours of active professional development; attendees are provided with a certificate on completion. For a sneak peek, check out the course outline below...
Start Learning Immediately: Week 1-6 readings and modules available immediately upon registration (Interactive elements start for this course on
March 28th (2023)
US CE Credits Available: For those US-based therapists that wish to get continuing education credits (CE) for completing this training, please visit CEUnits.com after completion of the course. Details at: https://www.ceunits.com/mft-lcsw/234/Schema-Therapy-Online-Course-1-The-Basic-Model-Methods-and-Techniques
- Week 1 Overview with Rob (2:37)
- Video Presentation 1: Origins and Conceptual Model (35:09)
- Video Activity: Understanding Core Emotional Needs and Schema Formation (Using a clip from the Movie "Shine") (18:03)
- Week 1: Connection and Reflection Activity
- Homework Activity: Young Schema Questionnaire (Due for scoring in Week 3)
- Video Presentation: Schema Assessment and Formulation (23:41)
- Skills Video: Scoring and Interpreting the YSQ (8:11)
- Reflection Task: Therapist Schemas in Practice
- Experiential Role Play Example: Imagery for Assessment (7:24)
- Reflection Task: Schema Formulation for One Patient
- SAVE the DATE!!! Tuesday 23rd May (2023) 4-5pm AEDST Sydney/ Melbourne (note Daylight Saving) with Rob
- Introduction to Week 4: The Therapy Relationship - Limited Reparenting (6:42)
- Video Presentation 4a: Providing Care, Attunement, and Guidance (21:39)
- Skills Demonstration Video: Beyond the Standard Level of Care (9:01)
- Reflection Activity: Directly Meeting the Need Using the Therapy Relationship
- Video Presentation 4b: Limited Reparenting - Empathic Confrontation and Setting Limits (15:20)
- Skills Demonstation: Empathic Confrontation and Limit Setting (6:34)
- Reflection Activity: Using Empathic Confrontation in Your Clinical Practice
- Video Presentation 5a: Core Beliefs - The "Bottom Line" in Schemas (18:11)
- Skill Development: How to Develop Schema Flashcards (11:24)
- Developing a Flashcard for the Therapist
- Video Presentation: How to Integrate Cognitive Material (22:31)
- Video Presentation: Behavioural Pattern-Breaking in Schema Therapy (12:52)
- Video: The Structure of a Schema Therapy Session, General Guidelines for Treatment (8:18)
- Video Presentation: Schema Therapy Related Homework/ Assignments (3:41)
- Video Presentation 6a: Introduction to Experiential Work - Why do we Need Emotions In Schema Therapy? (6:26)
- Skills Demonstration: Chairwork Exercise to Manage Self-Criticism/ Defectiveness/ Shame (5:50)
- Video Presentation 6b: Imagery Rescripting, Linking Past to the Present (16:58)
- Skills Demonstration: Using Imagery Rescripting - Emotional Deprivation Schema (12:50)
- Audio Recordings: Examples of Safe-Place Imagery
Chris Hayes (Clinical Psychologist)
ISST Accredited Supervisor/Trainer
Chris is a Clinical Psychologist and Certified Schema Therapy Supervisor/Trainer based in Perth, Western Australia. He has had extensive experience in both government and private settings working with clients with complex psychological presentations. Since 2005, he has been practicing as an advanced Schema Therapist, supervisor and trainer having completed certification in Schema Therapy at the Schema Therapy Institute in New York City (USA) with Dr Jeffery Young. He has presented workshops throughout Europe, Asia and Australasia. He is the Director of Schema Therapy Training Australia.
Dr Rob Brockman (Clinical Psychologist)
ISST Accredited Supervisor/Trainer
Co-Director of Schema Therapy Training Online; co-author of "Contextual Schema Therapy" (Roediger, Stevens, & Brockman 2020)
I am an active researcher and clinician. Since 2014, I have had the pleasure of sharing this model with my colleagues through face-to-face workshops and supervision. However, I understand that attending a live workshop may not always be practical or accessible so I have teamed up with Chris Hayes to design a comprehensive online schema therapy course.